All appointments at Sarah Smith Cardiology are with Sarah herself. If Sarah isn’t available you will be offered the opportunity to see a cardiologist of equal experience or postpone your appointment until Sarah is available.
The best way to arrange an appointment for your pet to see Sarah is via a referral from your own veterinary surgeon. Exceptions to this would be breeders requiring breed related heart testing certification (see For Breeders).
Please note we do not offer any first opinion veterinary services.
Your First Appointment
- If your own veterinary surgeon thinks that your pet is in need of specialist cardiology or respiratory investigations or treatment they will contact us on your behalf.
- They will supply us with your details and your pet’s medical history.
- Once we have all of this information we can then proceed with making you and your pet an appointment to see Sarah. At this point you may be asked by your veterinary surgeon to contact us directly to arrange a time and date for your appointment that is suitable for you.
- Any further contact will be directly between us and you. However, your veterinary surgeon will be kept informed of your pet’s progress at every stage.
- We are aware that during an appointment such as this, especially when you are worried about your pet, it is difficult to take in and understand everything that is said. With this in mind, after your appointment you will receive a letter explaining everything that was found and discussed during your visit. Your own vet will also receive a letter with the details, and the case may be discussed further by telephone.
Once the initial referral process has been completed and you have attended your first appointment any follow-up appointments, repeat scans etc. can be booked by you directly with us.
By using this method we ensure continuity of care from your own regular veterinary surgeon for your routine treatments, check-ups and repeat medications etc., and also with Sarah solely for the specialist care that your pet requires.