RCVS Recognised Specialist status is not easily achieved. To be included on the List of Recognised Specialists, an individual must have achieved a postgraduate qualification at least at Diploma level, and must additionally satisfy the RCVS that they make an active contribution to their specialty, have national and international acclaim and publish widely in their field.
Recognition as a Specialist by the RCVS is based upon the following criteria:
- Possession of an RCVS, or RCVS-approved diploma, or other relevant postgraduate qualification.
- Being acknowledged by peers in the area of specialisation.
- Maintaining acceptable continuing professional development (CPD), e.g. through publication, teaching, reviewing, examining, attending and participating in national and international meetings within the specialised field.
- Being available for referral by other veterinary colleagues.
- Being a current active practitioner within the specialised field.